From its county population in 2000 of 26619 to its current population estimate of 29949, the county has experienced a growth change of 3330.
Wayne County was created in 1803 in the southeast part of the state on land acquired from the Creek Indians, who ceded the land to Georgia in the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson (1802). The county is named after "Mad" Anthony Wayne, a general in the Revolutionary War (1775-83).
The county seat, Jesup, was incorporated in 1870. Previously, the seat of government was located in the towns of Tuckersville and Waynesville, in turns. The historical record is indefinite about exactly when each of the two served as county seat between 1803 and 1856
The first recorded courthouse was built in the woods northwest of Waynesville in 1860. The current courthouse, built in Jesup between 1902 and 1903, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Jesup sprang up around a station serving the Macon and Brunswick Railroad (later Norfolk Southern) and the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad (later CSX). Its name came from Thomas Jesup, a U.S. Army general famous for his exploits during the Creek Indian War of 1836. Jesup has often been referred to as "the town that trains built" because of the prominence of railroads in its history.