County Snapshots Home

:: Warren County ::

Community Profile

County Formed December 19, 1793
County Seat Warrenton
Incorporated Cities Camak, Norwood and Warrenton
Total Area 286.766799 square miles


From its county population in 2000 of 6300 to its current population estimate of 5520, the county has experienced a growth change of -780.

Warren County was created in 1793, and is named after Joseph Warren, a colonial physician and Revolutionary War (1775-83) soldier.

Warrenton, the county seat, was incorporated in 1810. Court was held first in the home of James McCormick, and then of Sterling Gardener, who later donated land for an official courthouse, which was built in 1809

Points of Interest

Three sites in Warrenton are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: the courthouse; the downtown historic district; and the Warrenton Gymnasium/Auditorium, a New Deal project built in 1937-38. Designed in the neoclassical style, the Warrenton

There are several other points of interest. The Jacob Burkhalter Home, built circa 1778, was the first recorded home built in Warrenton, and in 1825 the Marquis de Lafayette stayed there. Little Briar Creek Baptist Church, established in 1777, is the oldest church in the county. The Mill Branch Indian Artifact Display is housed in the Warren County Library. The Ogeechee River Mill has been grinding corn since 1826. The Ogeechee Wildlife Management Area, shared with Hancock County, contains a 24,000-acre nature preserve, although hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities are permitted.

General LaFayette visited Warrenton in 1824, and a ball was held in his honor at a local home which is still standing.

Chamber of Commerce
Additional County Info
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia

Warrenton Auditorium

Warrenton Baptist Church

Return to top of page