County Snapshots Home

:: Taliaferro County ::

Community Profile

County Formed December 24, 1825
County Seat Crawfordville
Incorporated Cities Crawfordville and Sharon
Total Area 195.377455 square miles


From its county population in 2000 of 2077 to its current population estimate of 1693, the county has experienced a growth change of -384.

Taliaferro was created in 1825 from Greene, Hancock, Oglethorpe, Warren, and Wilkes counties. It was named for Benjamin Taliaferro, who was a colonel during the American Revolution (1775-83), as well as a Georgia legislator and a judge

The seat of the 195-square-mile county is Crawfordville, named for William Harris Crawford, an early presidential cabinet member and candidate for U.S. president in 1824

Taliaferro County was once known as "Five Points" because it drew lands from five counties: Hancock, Greene, Oglethorpe, Wilkes and Warren. It dates to 1825 and recognizes Colonel Benjamin Taliaferro of Lighthorse Harry Lee's

Points of Interest

A.H. Stephens Historic Park is a 1,177 acres Georgia state The park contains Stephens' home and Liberty Hall, which has been fully restored to its original 1875 style. The park's museum houses one of Georgia's largest collections of Civil War artifacts. T

Notable Citizens

One notable citizen of Taliaferro County was Richard M. Johnston, an educator and author, who wrote Dukesborough Tales and Old Mark Lampton " Also from Taliaferro County was Roselle M. Montgomery, who was considered one of America's finest poets and often wrote about Crawfordville.

Additional County Info
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia

Liberty Hall-Home of A.H. Stephens, Crawfordville

Taliaferro County Courthouse, Crawfordville

Return to top of page