County Snapshots Home

:: Screven County ::

Community Profile

County Formed December 14, 1793
County Seat Sylvania
Incorporated Cities Hiltonia, Newington,Rocky Ford, Sylvania and Oliver
Total Area 656.666711 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 15371 to its current population estimate of 14085, the county has experienced a growth change of -1286.

Screven County, created on December 14, 1793, was named for General James Screven, who served as a commander in Savannah during the Revolutionary War (1775-83) and was a veteran of the Battle of the Riceboats. The county was carved out of the lower part of Burke County and the upper part of Effingham County, and originally included Bulloch County and parts of Emanuel and Jenkins counties

Rocky Ford was designated as the first county seat in 1793 but was replaced by Jacksonborough in 1797, and moved to Sylvania in 1847.

Points of Interest

Screven County claims a number of interesting sites: one of the nation's largest persimmon trees, located in the Tuckahoe Wildlife Management Area; Robbin's Grist Mill, built in 1803 and located south of Sylvania; Millhaven Plantation, one of the largest

Annual Events

Savannah River Classic, Lower Savannah River Alliance Fishing Tournament - May

WILD About Screven Festival - September

County N/A
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13251
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Canoeing on Brier Creek Swamp


Metal fabrication in Screven County


Return to top of page