The Monastery of the Holy Ghost was founded in the county in 1944 by a group of monks who practice self-sufficiency, cultivating their own food. Visitors are welcomed at church services and in the greenhouse and gift shop, although some areas are off-limits to women.
The Panola Mountain State Conservation Park was Georgia's first conservation park. Near the center of the 617 acre park is a 100 acre granite monadnock often compared to Stone Mountain. The park has been designated a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service.
Most of downtown Conyers, both the residential and business districts, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as the Dial Mill (1830) and the first Rockdale County Jail (1897).
The city of Conyers is also home to the Georgia International Horse Park, site of the 1996 Olympic Equestrian events.