Quitman County was created from parts of Randolph and Stewart counties in 1858. The county was named for General John A. Quitman, a leader in the Mexican War, once Governor of Mississippi, and an avid spokesman for states' rights.
The county's only incorporated municipality is Georgetown, the county seat. It was named for the area in Washington, D.C. It was originally called Tabanana after a nearby creek.
An earlier fortified settlement, believed to have been built by prehistoric Indians, was located where Cool Branch flows into the Chattahoochee River. Much of that area--indeed all of Quitman's western border--is now beneath the waters of Lake Walter F. George, an impoundment on the Chattahoochee River.
In 2006, citizens of Georgetown and Quitman County voted to become a consolidated government becoming the State's fifth consolidated government.