County Snapshots Home

:: Madison County ::

Community Profile

County Formed December 5, 1811
County Seat Danielsville
Incorporated Cities Carlton, Colbert, Comer, Danielsville, Hull and Ila
Total Area 284.4 square miles

History

Madison County, the 38th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1811 from parts of Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Jackson and Oglethorpe counties. It was named for President James Madison.

Points of Interest

The soils of Madison County were heavily damaged by the cotton monoculture common in this region prior to the 1930s. Agribusiness dominates the local economy, with poultry production particularly important.

Madison and Oglethorpe counties share Watson Mill Bridge State Park, the site of the longest covered bridge in Georgia. The bridge, which is over 100 years old, spans 229 feet of the South Fork of the Broad River. There are also facilities for camping, hiking trails, picnicking and fishing in the park.

The Madison County Courthouse, one of the most ornate in Georgia, was built in 1901 for the sum of $18,314. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. New Hope Presbyterian Church, established in 1788, is the third oldest church in Georgia.

Notable Citizens

Crawford W. Long, the first doctor to use ether in surgery, was born in Danielsville in 1815.

Annual Events

Some of the local festivals include the Colbert Independence Day Celebration, Comer Christmas Parade and the Madison County Agricultural Fair.

County http://www.madisonco.us
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/DCACommunity/CommunityHomePage.aspx?fips=13195
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Watson Mill Bridge State Park


Madison County Courthouse, Danielsville


Return to top of page