County Snapshots Home

:: Liberty County ::

Community Profile

County Formed February 5, 1777
County Seat Hinesville
Incorporated Cities Allenhurst, Flemington, Gumbranch, Hinesville, Midway, Riceboro and Walthourville
Total Area 519.1 square miles

History

Liberty County was created in 1777 from the colonial parishes of St. Andrews, St. James, and St. John. The land that made up these parishes was originally held by the Creek Indians. The county's name honors Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett of Midway, who were Georgia's first delegates to the Continental Congress and signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Although not born in Georgia, Lyman Hall moved to present day Liberty County to serve as a physician to the settlers. Elected Governor in 1783, Hall became the first in that office to exercise strong executive leadership. An advocate of public schools, Hall helped to charter the University of Georgia.

The county's historical sites include the Midway Museum, located in a typical 18th-century house; the Dorchester Church built in 1854; and Fort Morris.

Points of Interest

Almost half of Liberty County's usable land area is occupied by the U.S. Army installation, Fort Stewart.

Notable Citizens

Naturalist, mathematician and scholar Louis LeConte, for whom the LeConte pear was named, resided in Liberty County. His home is now the site of the LeConte Botanical Gardens.

Button Gwinnett, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was from St. Catherine's Island in Liberty County.

County http://www.libertycountyga.com
Chamber of Commerce http://www.libertycounty.org/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13179
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Melon Bluff Nature Center


Hinesville Jail


Return to top of page