County Snapshots Home

:: Jackson County ::

Community Profile

County Formed February 11, 1796
County Seat Jefferson
Incorporated Cities Arcade, Braselton, Commerce, Hoschton, Jefferson, Maysville, Nicholson, Pendergrass and Talmo
Total Area 343.057476 square miles

History

From its county population in 2000 of 41920 to its current population estimate of 61870, the county has experienced a growth change of 19950.

It was named for James Jackson, who was a general in the Revolutionary War (1775-83).

In 1784 the state legislature provided for a state college, whose original site was in the part of Jackson County ceded to Clarke County in 1801. This college, first called Franklin College, became the University of Georgia, which thus held its first classes in Jackson County.

Points of Interest

Places of interest include Chateau Elan, a 3,500-acre winery and resort in Braselton

the Shields-Ethridge Heritage Farm, an outdoor living history museum.

Braselton is home of the Chateau Elan Winery, Panoz Motorsports, golf, equestrian center, resort and spa.

Notable Citizens

One notable person from Jackson County is Crawford W. Long, the doctor who discovered using ether as an anesthetic. He was studying in Jefferson when he made this revolutionary discovery. The Crawford W. Long Museum displays important artifacts and information recognizing his discovery. Long's statue is one of two Georgians in the U.S. Capitol.

County http://www.jacksoncountygov.com/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13157
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Chateau Elan Winery


Road Atlanta


Return to top of page