Hall County was created in 1818 from Indian treaty lands. Georgia's 44th county was named for Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence and later governor of Georgia.
The county seat is Gainesville, which may have been named for early settlers in the area, or for General Edmund P. Gaines, who arrested Aaron Burr for treason.
Gainesville's municipal power plant was built in 1899. Gainesville was the first southern city to have electric streetlights.
Gainesville is often referred to as the "Poultry Capital of the World."