County Snapshots Home

:: Evans County ::

Community Profile

County Formed August 11, 1914
County Seat Claxton
Incorporated Cities Bellville, Claxton, Daisy and Hagan
Total Area 185 square miles

History

Evans County, the 150th county formed in Georgia, was created from parts of Bulloch and Tattnall counties. It was named for Confederate General Clement A. Evans who led the last charge of the Army of Virginia at Appomattox. Claxton, the county seat, was incorporated in 1911 and named for Kate Claxton, a popular actress of the time.

The City of Claxton is known as the "Fruit Cake Capital of the World" in honor of its production of the traditional holiday treat. The Georgia Fruit Cake Company and Claxton Bakery, Inc., ship this delicacy around the globe each year.

The neo-classical Evans County Courthouse was built in 1923.

Old Sunbury Road runs through the county. Laid out in the 1790s, it was one of the longest vehicular thoroughfares of the post-revolutionary period.

Points of Interest

The Evans County Park encompasses 40 acres with baseball fields, tennis courts, a playground and outdoor shelter. Bacon Ford Park, located in Claxton, also provides basketball courts and a picnic area.

Much of the southeastern part of Evans County is occupied by Fort Stewart, a U.S. Army base used as a flight-training center.

Annual Events

The Evans County Wildlife Club hosts a Rattlesnake Roundup every second weekend in March. Highlights of the event include a parade, beauty pageant, arts and crafts exhibits, and a snake hunting competition. Live rattlesnakes captured during the event are sold for research purposes.

The Evans County Recreation Department sponsors a popular Fourth of July Celebration each year. Also, the Claxton-Evans Chamber of Commerce hosts an annual bike ride every year during the second weekend in November.

Chamber of Commerce http://www.claxtonevanschamber.com
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/DCACommunity/CommunityHomePage.aspx?fips=13109
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Evans County Courthouse, Claxton


Fort Stewart-US Army Base


Return to top of page