From its county population in 2000 of 19141 to its current population estimate of 20976, the county has experienced a growth change of 1835.
Dodge County was created in 1870 from parts of Montgomery, Pulaski, and Telfair counties. Georgia's 134th county was named for William E. Dodge, a New York businessman who owned large tracts of forest land in Georgia. Dodge helped persuade Congress to remove taxation from timber and built the first county courthouse in 1908 as a gift.
Eastman, the largest city and the county seat, was named for W. P. Eastman, a friend of Dodge.