County Snapshots Home

:: Candler County ::

Community Profile

County Formed July 14, 1914
County Seat Metter
Incorporated Cities Metter and Pulaski
Total Area 247 square miles

History

The county was created from parts of Bulloch, Emanuel, and Tattnall counties. Georgia's 48th county was named for former Governor Allen D. Candler who spent a great deal of his retirement years compiling the state's Colonial, Revolutionary, and Confederate records.

The Candler County Courthouse, built in 1921, and the South Metter Residential Historic District, comprised of 75 late 19th and early 20th century homes on landscaped boulevards, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Points of Interest

Local attractions include the Charles C. Harrold Nature Preserve, home of the rare gopher tortoise and the Elliotta racemosa plant; and the George L. Smith State Park.

Notable Citizens

Metter is home to Michael Guido and the Guido Evangelical Association, familiar to radio and television audiences worldwide for its "Seeds from the Sower" programs. The Guidos' prayer chapel and garden are open to the public.

Chamber of Commerce http://www.metter-candler.com/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/CountyPortal/countyportal.asp?FIPS=13043
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Metter Fountain


Candler County Courthouse, Metter


Return to top of page