County Snapshots Home

:: Brantley County ::

Community Profile

County Formed August 14, 1920
County Seat Nahunta
Incorporated Cities Hoboken and Nahunta
Total Area 444.4 square miles

History

The county was formed in 1920 from Charlton, Pierce, and Wayne counties and was named for Benjamin D. Brantley, a member of a prominent local family, although some historians claim the name honored State Senator William Goodman Brantley of Brunswick.

Since the Okefenokee Swamp is to the south and west of the county, passage through Brantley County was essential to the railroads running from the coast through the southern part of the state.

Fort McIntosh was built in the early years of the Revolutionary War to protect the extensive herds of cattle. It was placed under siege from Tories in 1777 and eventually surrendered.

Fort Mudge was built in the county at about the same time. This fort was immortalized by Walt Kelly in the "Pogo" comic strip.

Nahunta sounds as if it has an Indian name, but in fact the name is a colloquialism derived from railroad maps and a sign, "N.A. Hunter Siding."

Points of Interest

The 35,789-acre Dixon Memorial State Forest, shared by Brantley and Ware counties, is administered by the Georgia Forestry Commission.

Brantley County residents also have access to the Harrington Tract Wildlife Management Area (shared with Glynn County) and the Rayonier Wildlife Management Area (shared with Wayne County).

The scenic Satilla River winds its way through Brantley County, providing opportunities for boating, fishing and camping.

Annual Events

The Bluegrass Festival is held in the Spring and the Fall of each year. Other special events include the Hoboken Trojan Fest and the Christmas festivities held the first Saturday in December.

Chamber of Commerce http://www.brantleycounty.org/
Additional County Info http://www.georgiaplanning.com/DCACommunity/CommunityHomePage.aspx?fips=13025
Click here to view a larger map image.

State of Georgia



Dixon Memorial State Forest


Brantley County Library


Return to top of page