Home Community Profile Demographics Economy Local Finance Learn more about CityScapes Data Sources
Printing Tips
Valdosta, the county seat of Lowndes County, was incorporated on December 7, 1860. Upon its incorporation, the county seat was moved from Troupville to Valdosta. The city was named for Governor George Troup's country homes and comes from the Italian word Val D' Osta.

Valdosta is nicknamed the "Naval Stores Capital of the World" because it supplies 80% of the naval stores in the world.

The county courthouse in Valdosta was built around 1905 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Long before life as a gambler and a gunfighter, John Henry "Doc" Holliday was a respected man in the community in Valdosta. Holliday was a young dentist who fled to the west due to his bouts with tuberculosis. With his move westward, he gained legendary status in the "profession" of a gunfighter.

The city of Valdosta is home of Moody Air Force Base, Liberty Farm Animal Park, the Crescent Complex, and Grand Bay Wildlife Management Area.

Valdosta is home to two state-operated schools, Valdosta State University and Valdosta Technical Institute. Valdosta State University was originally founded in 1906 as South Georgia State Normal College for Women, and became part of the University System of Georgia in 1950.

In April, Valdosta hosts an Arts and Balloon Festival to celebrate fine art, ballet, theater, music, poetry, and arts and crafts. The city is also home to a symphony orchestra composed of local professional musicians, Valdosta State University faculty and students, as well as guest artists.


(note: click on county map to view County Snapshots for Lowndes County.) View County Snapshots for Lowndes





Copyright © 2000 Georgia Department of Community Affairs. All Rights Reserved.