Home Community Profile Demographics Economy Local Finance Learn more about CityScapes Data Sources
Printing Tips
Alpharetta, located in Fulton County, was incorporated December 11, 1857. Years ago, Alpharetta was the county seat of the former Milton County. In 1932, Milton County was merged into Fulton County. The city's name is a variation of a fictional Indian girl, Alfarata, in a 19th century song, The Blue Juniata. The name of the city is also believed to have been derived from the first letter of the Greek alphabet.

The Autrey Mill Nature Preserve and Heritage Center is located in Alpharetta. This 46-acre forest has an abundance of animal life and a scenic creek. There are 1.5 miles of walking trails, picnic areas and historic sites for visitors to enjoy.

The Environmental Education Center is located in Alpharetta. The Center operates as a community service center providing information on environmental topics and features a library with hundreds of valuable resource materials.

Alpharetta is home to the campus of DeVry Institute of Technology. A campus of Georgia State University is under construction in Alpharetta and should be ready to begin graduate-level classes in January 2000.


(note: click on county map to view County Snapshots for Fulton County.) View County Snapshots for Fulton





Copyright © 2000 Georgia Department of Community Affairs. All Rights Reserved.